Sunday, September 7, 2008

Of courage and sacrifice

I promised the readers that I'm gonna talk about our history, I have to put that on hold first, but still, I will touch on Merdeka spirit.

My close friend is coming back to M'sia for good after completing his Masters Degree from Cambridge UK. Few of us were quite hyped up in preparing for his homecoming dinner.

We are going to celebrate his success in completing the studies. But to me, I want to celebrate it to honour his Courage and Sacrifice. Why? Because it's just hard for me to understand why he was willing to leave his very comfortable position in Petronas to pursue further studies.

Obviously, he's not materialistic, and definitely not one who likes to be praised for. We had talks before he left, and he told me one of the main reasons he wanted to go for it because this is his way of contributing to the nation. He said he wanted to use his newly acquired knowledge and experience to help the nation. I could sense the sincerity in his words. He was not just saying it for the sake of saying it and to win my favour, he doesnt need to in fact.

Not many of us ever thought about this. We are just busy filling our pockets and indulge in easy life. We never really bothered what is going to happen to our nation. We would just say that we have done our part by voting, well, let me tell u. Thats not enough.

I just have my outmost respect to him as he has the courage to change, and making few sacrifices to achieve his goal. To me, this is the true spirit of Merdeka. Having the sense of freedom and wanting to appreciate the freedom by advancing in one's life, and giving it back to the nation. So OP Farouk, congratulations again and may god bless you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah..OP Mior the blogger ! How surprised yours truly with this discovery.

I’m truly speechless yet honoured with those kind and beautiful words you have dedicated to me. Thank you from the bottom of my heart sir!

Yes, it was indeed a big challenge and sacrifice for me but something that I could have not done without encouragement and support from families and friends. You know that we are more than friends, since we became brothers from 1989 ;)

Keep on blogging & see you soon.

OP farouk

opcharlie said...

syabas op Farouk! Don't forget us when you are up there!

jabbeer said...

Completely agree with OP Charlie. We can give our 2 cents worth of thoughts if u need to when u r up there.